February 24, 2012

Fresh Salsa

Coming from two very Mexican-food-permeated regions in the US, salsa has always taken up a large section of our refrigerator.  And, in Bulgaria, it's no different.  However, I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for the store-bought kind (I'm still amazed that Bulgaria has it!).  So, as soon as we got settled in Plovdiv this past summer, I went searching.

That's when my Peace Corps buddy gave me the best, simplest salsa recipe.  It's chunky.  It's fresh.  It's so flavorful, you won't even need chips!  Just a spoon.

You'll need:
2 med. tomatoes, diced
1 cucumber, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 jalapeno peppers, diced (optional)
2 large green bell peppers, diced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 sprig of cilantro, finely chopped
1 lemon
1 teaspoon salt

Basically, throw all the veggies in a large bowl, sprinkle the salt over it, squeeze the lemon over that, and mix well!  My picture doesn't have cilantro included, as I still have to work on getting my herb garden going.  My mother-in-law brought us seeds when they came for Christmas, and I can't wait!

Anyway, this particular recipe makes one Gladware Deep Dish full of salsa (I'll have to measure it next time I make it!).  You can easily halve it.  I use a lot of it for preparing Mexican dishes, so this amount is perfect for us!  Be sure to store in the fridge.  It keeps for about a week.

Ok, my mouth is watering and it's too late to do anything about it.  I better stop writing!

You guys have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment